… that political rhetoric leads to violence only when some people are talking.
I might as well put this on record:
- I don’t believe that there is a Second Amendment right to personal gun ownership; that’s a politically motivated reading of the text.
- I’d like to see much stricter gun laws everywhere in America, even here in Texas.
- But stricter gun laws would do nothing at all to reduce the numbers of mass shootings; guns will remain obtainable by people who are willing to break the law, and those who plan to shoot and kill their fellow human beings aren’t worried about that.
- Desperate, twisted, alienated people who want to be heard and heeded are given powerful incentives to murder by our media, including our social media.
- In the aftermath of mass shootings, people shout louder and louder about gun control as a way of distracting themselves and others from the real problem, which is insatiable curiositas.